THE ULTIMATE HAWAIIAN CHEESE BURGER!
A mouth-watering combo of caramelized onions, chipotle sauce, tomatoes, blue cheese, sliced ham, grilled pineapple and teriyaki beef.
For the Teriyaki Patty:
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh, minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh, minced garlic
- 3/4 cup thick teriyaki sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
For the Toppings:
- 8 slices Boar's Head Smokemaster™ Beechwood Smoked Black Forest Ham
- 4 fresh pineapple slices
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 slices blue cheese (or smoked gouda, cheddar, or provolone)
- 4 Réver Artisan Bakery™ sandwich-sized Hawaiian Bread buns
- Boston bib (or butter leaf) lettuce
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 8 pickle slices
- 1 cup caramelized onions
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1/3 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- Pinch sea salt
- Freshly ground tellicherry black peppercorns
To make the burger patty: In a bowl, mix the ground sirloin, onions, ginger, garlic and teriyaki sauce. Do not over mix. Cover and refrigerate.
Heat the grill. Brush both sides of the pineapple with butter and lightly sprinkle with brown sugar. Place on grill and cook until caramelized on both sides, about 5 minutes.
Slowly cook a sliced onion in a little coconut oil until they are richly browned. It is a wonderful way to pull flavor out. When you slowly cook onions over an extended period of time, the natural sugars in the onions caramelize, making the result intensely and wonderfully flavorful!
Shape ground sirloin into 4 wide 1-inch thick patties. Grill the patties, or heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium-high. Sear for 2 minutes on each side, until they develop a nice crust. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 3 minutes per side. Top each patty with a slice of cheese and melt.
To make the mayonnaise: In a food processor, blend together the mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, salt, and pepper.
Slather the chipotle-mayo on buttered and toasted Rêver Artisan Bakery sandwich-sized Hawaiian rolls. Top with lettuce, tomato, burger patty with melted cheese, ham, and a slice of caramelized pineapple.