BIG ISLAND SLOPPY JOES
Ground Sirloin simmered with Pineapple, Teriyaki sauce, sweet peppers and onions, Swiss cheese and Aloha Dreams coleslaw, served between our grilled Hawaiian buns and topped with a pickle! This recipe elevates the homely Sloppy Joe Sandwich. You know, the one's made with the stuff that comes out of a can (that rhythms with san-wich).
One of the best things about this homemade sandwich, is that not only does it taste fantastic, you know what the ingredients are!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 can crushed pineapple in 100% pineapple juice (20 oz.)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup Teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 lbs 90/10 or 97/03 grass fed ground sirloin
- 8 Réver Artisan Bakery Bakery™ Hawaiian Bread Sandwich-size buns.
- 8 Cornichons (Gherkins)
- 2 cups Aloha Dreams coleslaw
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Chop the onions and pepper and mince the garlic.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil to a dutch oven and let it heat up for a minute.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté them for a few minutes until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Now add the chopped peppers and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the pot and allow it to brown through.
- Once the beef has browned, add the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar and mix well.
- Add the can of pineapple to the dutch oven and mix it into the ground beef mixture.
- Dump the cup of ketchup and the two tablespoons of tomato paste on top of the ground beef, but DO NOT MIX it in. Just let it sit on top.
- Close the lid, and simmer on low heat for at least 20 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has completed, mix all the ingredients together increase the heat and cook to thicken the Hawaiian Sloppy Joe mixture.
- To assemble the sandwiches, slice the buns in half and grill each, cut-side down, in butter. Add a slice of cheese on the toasted side of one half, spoon on the Sloppy Joe mixture, and top with coleslaw. Lid the sandwich with the top bun, add a gherkin and enjoy!