FRENCH HAM SANDWICH (JAMBON-BEURRE)
Which is the most popular sandwich in France?
The most popular sandwich in France is the ham and butter sandwich, consisting of a French bread baguette, butter and thin slices of ham.
This ham and butter sandwich accounts for 64% of the total consumption of sandwiches in France (of the 830 million that are sold each and every year).
A SLICE OF HEAVEN!
Every time you take a bite of one of these amazing sandwiches, your heart and soul will tell you why it is so popular and why you gotta make another one: It’s so delicious, it is like a slice of heaven!
This sandwich is really simple to make and completely relies on the quality of the ingredients.
So make sure you buy one of our French bread Bâtards or Demi-Baguettes, an excellent ham, and a European butter.
European butter is so much better than American butter. It is saltier, more flavorful and it has more fat. Use it whenever you want the butter to shine, like in this sandwich!
The best butters are Celles sur Belle, a glorious French unsalted butter, made from cultured cream in its namesake village in western France, and Kerrygold pure Irish butter, churned with cream from Irish cows that eat Irish grass - not hay - this butter provides an efficient way for humans to absorb the fat-soluble nutrients from grass.
As for the ham, we suggest Oscar Mayer Selects Natural Applewood Smoked Ham because not only does it tastes delicious but it has no artificial ingredients and is minimally processed. "Uncured" means that it has no artificial nitrates and/or nitrites. Chemicals that have been linked to some forms of cancer.
Too good to be true? Not with Oscar Mayer Selects Natural. It is made with the kind of stuff that you can trust and feed to your family.
Another suggestion would be SmokeMaster Beechwood Smoked Black Forest Ham. It is crafted with the finest ingredients and exceptional care. This ham is naturally smoked with imported German beechwood, which results in a ham with a delicious, distinct flavor that is rich and smooth.
- 1 Rêver Artisan Bakery French bread demi-baguette or bâtard, sliced lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons European-style butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces (about 12 slices) excellent quality smoked ham
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese (French Swiss Cheese), or cheese of your choice, thinly sliced (optional)
- Greens: Romaine, mizuna, micro-greens, baby spinach, kale, chard, arugula, frisee, tatsoi, mache, lolla rossa, mustard, oak, beet, etc. (optional)
- Red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Tomatoes, sliced, and lightly salted (optional)
- Deli grain mustard (optional)
- Mayo (optional)
- Spread the butter on cut sides of the baguette.
- Add the cheese (if using) to the bottom slice and top with the ham. Top with the other slice of baguette.
- Cut the sandwich into two equal parts.
- Serve or refrigerate (wrapped in plastic) for up to one day!